What to do if your Solar Installer Disappears?

What to do if your solar company goes out of business?

Are you an orphaned solar customer?

How Palomar can help!

A growing issue our industry is customers abandoned when a solar installer goes out of business. We consistently receive calls similar to the example below:

CallerHi, I already have solar system on my house but something is wrong, can you help me?

Palomar: We likely can, but have you tried your original installer? As we were not the original installers we would need to charge you for our time.

CallerWell,I tried that.  At first, no one would answer the phone.  Upon further investigation, we discovered they went out of business.  Please help!

PalomarI’m sorry to hear that, let’s start by getting some information.

Unfortunately, the volume of these types of calls is increasing dramatically.   We estimate 90% of the our inquiries are customers looking for someone to service their previously installed system because the company no longer exists, while the other 10% are simply unhappy with their current installers level of service.  We call these the “Orphaned Customers.”

The issue began when these customers agreed to do business with an installer, but failed to thoroughly verify them.  These companies were happy to take the contract and the customer’s money under false pretenses and with empty promises of worry-free service for the next 25 years at no extra cost.  Unfortunately, once these companies got their money, they went off the radar, abandoning the customer with nowhere to turn when problems arise with their system.

Orphaned solar customers will call us expressing regret they didn’t use a reputable company like Palomar initially.  After learning a tough lesson, these customer are now experts at due diligence – they want a company who isn’t going to put them in a deeper hole than they are already in.  After making a few calls, we seem to be the only company who is actually willing to step up to help those who have been orphaned by their original installer. Most companies turn these individuals away – mostly because there’s no large profit to be made.  Although we didn’t do the install we’re willing to help.

 

I’m an orphaned solar customer, what can I do?

Upon initial contact with Palomar, one of our certificated solar experts will take the time to hear your story and explain our service fee structure.  We’ll gather some basic information crucial for us to assess your situation and determine potential solutions.  At the completion of this initial phase, we’ll have a much better understand of how we can help.

If Palomar can help an orphaned solar customer, we forward them our service agreement where we have established relatively inexpensive fees.

 

Why are there fees?

It’s an unfortunate situation as customers were initially sold the concept that once you pay for a solar system, the rest is history. So naturally, having additional expenditures that were not expected is going to be uncomfortable and unwelcome.  We understand the frustration involved by trusting a company that has gone out of business and is not living up to their part.  Palomar is a respectable and trusted resource to help orphaned customers and offer potential solutions.  While we are fully accountable for our solar installations, certain fees are necessary as part of those ongoing solutions for orphaned customers.  A Palomar certified expert can explains the fees in more detail.

 

Why Palomar?

Few companies will even offer help to orphaned solar customers.  We understand how difficult and desperate your situation can be and the frustration caused solely by your initial installer.   At Palomar, you’re not only receiving “help” with your system, you’re receiving service from a reliable and honest company to take you on as our own customer with the benefits offering per-panel monitoring, taking over the RMA process when needed, and providing leading customer service.

Additionally, as a Palomar customer, you can rest assured that if you experience any issues to work we completed, we will take care of them in a timely manner with no service charge.  We make it our duty to help you maintain your investment.

If you are an orphaned solar customer, call us today

Contact us! We would love to chat with you 1.760.504.0388.